Sunday, May 22, 2005

Mottos

At some point in in 2012, I began having a second line beneath the title my the blog heading -- a motto, of sorts.  (Why am I saying this in 2005?  Here's why.)  Then I changed it.  So I thought I'd list the old ones I used, since I remain fond of all of them.  In order:
  1. "vilely determined to cheat the people of their rightful viscose" (origin of the phrase explained here)
  2. "standing athwart the end of history, yelling Stop" (origin explained here)
  3. "'good professor, could dress better' -- student evaluation" (origin self-explanatory, but it's slightly edited, as explained here)
  4. "I hope it is somewhat better than whim at last, but we cannot spend the day in explanation." (quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self Reliance"
  5. "I’ll stand on the ocean until I start sinking" (quote from Bob Dylan, "A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall"
  6. "Still hoping for a eucatastrophe." (My phrase, based on a coinage of J. R. R. Tolkien's.) 
  7. "There is naught that you can do, other than to resist, with hope or without it. But you do not stand alone." A quote from J. R. R. Tolkien in The Fellowship of the Ring (said by Elrond at the Council of Elrond).
Having now changed it twice seven times, I presume I'll change it again.  If so I'll update this post.  In the meantime, there's the list, should anyone be curious.

No comments: