• New Scientist Special Report: 7 Reasons Climate Change Is ‘Even Worse Than We Thought’. From Think Progress's post summarizing the seven reasons:
- The thick sea ice in the Arctic Ocean was not expected to melt until the end of the century. If current trends continue, summer ice could be gone in a decade or two. Read more (or see “Death Spiral Watch: Experts Warn ‘Near Ice-Free Arctic In Summer’ In A Decade If Volume Trends Continue“).
- We knew global warming was going to make the weather more extreme. But it’s becoming even more extreme than anyone predicted. Read more (or see “NOAA Bombshell: Warming-Driven Arctic Ice Loss Is Boosting Chance of Extreme U.S. Weather“).
- Global warming was expected to boost food production. Instead, food prices are soaring as the effects of extreme weather kick in. Read more (or see “Oxfam Warns Climate Change And Extreme Weather Will Cause Food Prices To Soar” and links therein).
- Greenland’s rapid loss of ice mean we’re in for a rise of at least 1 metre by 2100, and possibly much more. Read more (or see “Greenland Ice Sheet Melt Nearing Critical ‘Tipping Point’” and links therein).
- The planet currently absorbs half our CO2emissions. All the signs are it won’t for much longer. Read more (or see “Carbon Feedback From Thawing Permafrost Will Likely Add 0.4°F – 1.5°F To Total Global Warming By 2100” and “Drying Peatlands and Intensifying Wildfires Boost Carbon Release Ninefold“).
- If we stopped emitting CO2 tomorrow, we might be able to avoid climate disaster. In fact we are still increasing emissions. Read more (or see “The IEA And Others Warn Of Some 11°F Warming by 2100 on current emissions path”)
- If the worst climate predictions are realised, vast swathes of the globe could become too hot for humans to survive. Read more (or see “An Illustrated Guide to the Science of Global Warming Impacts“)
• 5 Charts About Climate Change That Should Have You Very, Very Worried:
Two major organizations released climate change reports this month warning of doom and gloom if we stick to our current course and fail to take more aggressive measures. A World Bank report [pdf link] imagines a world 4 degrees warmer, the temperature predicted by century's end barring changes, and says it aims to shock people into action by sharing devastating scenarios of flood, famine, drought and cyclones. Meanwhile, a report from the US National Research Council, commissioned by the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and other intelligence agencies, says the consequences of climate change--rising sea levels, severe flooding, droughts, fires, and insect infestations--pose threats greater than those from terrorism ranging from massive food shortages to a rise in armed conflicts.Click through for five charts taken from the reports.
• Climate Change Largely Irreversible for 1000 Years
• The shells of ocean animals are already dissolving in acidic sea
• Climate Change Threatens to Create a Second Dust Bowl
• Canadian conservatives are embracing denialism because they're just interested in the money gained from burning the world.
• Obama is on the wrong side on this one. Not "not doing enough": he's working on the side of those who are destroying the world.
As I've said before: however worried you are, you're not worried enough.
(Most links via Dave Roberts's twitter feed.)
Update: New day, new apocalyptic link:
• Global Sea Level Rising 60 Percent Faster Than Predicted
Update 2: Pandora's box contains hope. Now we just need to replicate that woman's experience millions of times over. And maybe we can start to reverse the course we're on. (The movie web site is here.)