Monday, July 21, 2008

Internet Time-Waster du jour

Via, this application makes word clouds. Hours of fun for geeks and borderline OCD sufferers the whole family. Of course I started doing classical literary texts, like Genesis (in the King James version), and King Lear:

(Clicking will take you to the full-sized versions on the Worlde site.) It was only later that I discovered that I was hardly the only one to do so. (That last one I did independently.) Then I did a few from philosophy, like Kant's Critique of Pure Reason (text source).

But of course there are other fun texts to do, too, so I tried The New York Times (as of now, shortly before 11 pm on Monday, July 21):

and the titles of Bob Dylan's Songs (text from here):


Another fun thing to do is to input really short texts, and see what comes out. For example:

(Answer here.)

-- and here I'll stop, or at least I'll stop posting them. But try it yourself -- it's strangely addictive.

(Update: Post restructured with different images put in (twice.))

Update 2: Fun ones by other people: the Complete Works of Shakespeare; Shakespeare sonnet 118; Poe's Annabel Lee.

No comments: