Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Happy New Year

Sorry to have been absent -- I've been sick, I fear. More posts when I have the time & energy.

In the meantime, if you like, you can check out some of my old posts. Additionally, let me share with you this quote from John Stuart Mill's Autobiography (chapter 5), which I came across in a recent op-ed by historian Darrin M. McMahon:
Those only are happy... who have their minds fixed on some object other than their own happiness; on the happiness of others, on the improvement of mankind, even on some art or pursuit, followed not as a means, but as itself an ideal end. Aiming thus at something else, they find happiness by the way.... Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so. The only chance is to treat, not happiness, but some end external to it, as the purpose of life.
More soon, deus volent. Please stand by...

No comments: