Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Annual Giving of Thanks

Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.... Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

-- Psalm 100:2, 4

ANYA: I love a ritual sacrifice.
BUFFY: It's not really a one of those.
ANYA: To commemorate a past event, you kill and eat an animal. It's a ritual sacrifice. With pie.

-- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Pangs" by Jane Espenson
As is my personal Thanksgiving tradition, I would like to give thanks to you, Noble Reader, for reading. I am thankful that you have dropped by; I hope you will come back again.

And this year, I am additionally pausing to be thankful that George W. Bush is no longer the President of my country. A good day to remember that, for all the political frustrations and problems of the present moment, despite all my disappointments with and the manifest inadequacies of our current leadership (and they are many), things have been, quite recently, much, much worse. So thank goodness for that.

Have a joyful Thanksgiving, one and all, however (and whether) you celebrate it, and whomever (and however) you give thanks.

1 comment:

Michael A. Burstein said...

And a happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.