Thursday, November 29, 2007

Recent (and not-so-Recent) Links, Mostly Apolitical

Despite my brief flurry of more substantive posts a week or so ago, my autumn blog-slowdown continues -- or, perhaps, has resumed. Until I have the time to come back with more substantive blogging (mid-December is my current guess, but I'm not sure), here are some links worth following -- some recent, some less so. (In a few cases I've forgotten where I got a link from; apologies to the sources...)

• In case you missed it, John Scalzi's Long-Awaited Creation Museum Report was posted recently. I think the flickr set is more fun than the essay, but they're both good.

• Kung Fu Monkey, in one of his Koufax-finalist lunchtime conversation series, presents the arguments for being ruled by robotic overlords. This one is political, but it's also funny.

• I liked this slate piece on email as an obsolete technology, even if it does confirm my old-fogey status.

• I had no idea that so many famous artists had done LP album covers.

• 95 Theses of Geek Activism (via).

• More Batman humor from BeaucoupKevin.

• Jacob Levy on the symbolic inversions of Guy Fawkes Day inspired by Alan Moore's V-for-Vendetta (and its movie adaptation).

• James Fallows tours a Panda refuge in China. Major cute overload potential. (via)

• Cartoons illustrating letters to the editor in the Guardian Saturday Review. Particularly for fans (if such exist) of my debates with Eddie Campbell. (again via)

• I don't agree with all his judgments, but this review-essay of Buffy -- all seven seasons of TV, plus the first trade of the comics-medium eighth season -- is quite interesting. Chock-full of spoilers, and also not interesting to anyone who hasn't, at least, seen all the TV.

• Whereas I read this essay on Grant Morrison's recent Batman series without having read the actual work, and got a lot out of it. Recommended for anyone interested in (certainly mainstream American, but to some extent any) comics.

• Update: This fan-created final Calvin & Hobbes strip is clever, fairly funny, and really, really, really sad. (via)

No comments: