Thursday, November 29, 2007

Recent (and not-so-Recent) Links, Mostly Apolitical

Despite my brief flurry of more substantive posts a week or so ago, my autumn blog-slowdown continues -- or, perhaps, has resumed. Until I have the time to come back with more substantive blogging (mid-December is my current guess, but I'm not sure), here are some links worth following -- some recent, some less so. (In a few cases I've forgotten where I got a link from; apologies to the sources...)

• In case you missed it, John Scalzi's Long-Awaited Creation Museum Report was posted recently. I think the flickr set is more fun than the essay, but they're both good.

• Kung Fu Monkey, in one of his Koufax-finalist lunchtime conversation series, presents the arguments for being ruled by robotic overlords. This one is political, but it's also funny.

• I liked this slate piece on email as an obsolete technology, even if it does confirm my old-fogey status.

• I had no idea that so many famous artists had done LP album covers.

95 Theses of Geek Activism (via).

More Batman humor from BeaucoupKevin.

Jacob Levy on the symbolic inversions of Guy Fawkes Day inspired by Alan Moore's V-for-Vendetta (and its movie adaptation).

James Fallows tours a Panda refuge in China. Major cute overload potential. (via)

Cartoons illustrating letters to the editor in the Guardian Saturday Review. Particularly for fans (if such exist) of my debates with Eddie Campbell. (again via)

• I don't agree with all his judgments, but this review-essay of Buffy -- all seven seasons of TV, plus the first trade of the comics-medium eighth season -- is quite interesting. Chock-full of spoilers, and also not interesting to anyone who hasn't, at least, seen all the TV.

• Whereas I read this essay on Grant Morrison's recent Batman series without having read the actual work, and got a lot out of it. Recommended for anyone interested in (certainly mainstream American, but to some extent any) comics.

Update: This fan-created final Calvin & Hobbes strip is clever, fairly funny, and really, really, really sad. (via)

No comments: